How we are keeping you safe: A clean, secure environment for care
We know safety is a concern for everyone and we want you to know it’s a top priority for us as well. Our facility is taking extra precautions to protect students from the risks associated with COVID-19.
We want to take steps towards normalizing care during this period and to counter the fear that might be keeping some patients with non-COVID issues from getting the care they need.
How we are keeping you safe at the IU Student Health Center:
- Safety starts at the front door. Upon entry you will be greeted by a Nurse or Medical Assistant and will be asked to:
- sanitize your hands.
- have your temperature taken.
- answer COVID-19 screening questions.
- put on a surgical mask. Why surgical masks? Since we don’t know the effectiveness of all the different masks individuals might be wearing, we are asking everyone to wear the same mask, proven to offer a high-level of protection. This helps keep everyone inside our building as safe as possible.
- Common Space Safety. We support social distance guidelines by visibly displaying six-foot distances and re-configuring spaces to our facilities to meet these guidelines. You’ll see accommodations like less chairs in waiting rooms, staggered appointment times, and limited waiting room time.
- Containment Areas. We have set-up containment areas to keep sick patients from non-sick patients.
- COVID-19 testing is being performed in a tent outside the building near our patient parking lot. This eliminates exposure to potential COVID positive patients to anyone in our building. Note: Testing for COVID-19 is only being provided for students with symptoms after they have been evaluated by a Student Health Center provider or through the IU Health Virtual Screening Clinic. The Health Center is not providing any mitigation testing or testing without an order from a medical provider.
- Sick patient area. Inside the building, Floor #2 is our sick floor and patients will enter via Door #1 (north entrance, near patient parking lot). If you are sick with any illness symptoms call one of our nurses before visiting (812-855-5002).
- Non-sick patient area. For services including pharmacy, lab, employee screenings, physical therapy, and non-illness appointments, patients should enter via Door #2 (east entrance, near loading dock, accessible from patient parking lot) or Door #3 (south entrance off Jordan). We have two elevators inside the building, the south elevator opens on Floor #2 into the pharmacy/lab area, which is separated from the rest of the sick floor area. The North elevator opens to Floor #3 (non-sick services) and Floor #4 (CAPS).
- Pharmacy curbside pick-up is available for prescription medication and over-the-counter items. This service is available M-F, 8 a.m.-12 p.m. and 1-4:30 p.m. The pick-up location is near the loading dock entrance, Door #2. Enter the patient parking lot through our N. Jordan entrance. When you reach the pick-up location call 812-855-8103. Charges for prescriptions and/or OTC medication will be sent to your student account. Make sure to bring your driver's license if you are picking up controlled substances.
- Frequent disinfecting and cleaning: Extra cleaning and sanitary precautions in our building ensure your safety. We have enhanced our disinfecting procedures so surfaces remain thoroughly clean through the entire day. Each evening our crew performs deep cleaning of all spaces.
- We make (virtual) house calls! If an in-person visit just doesn’t feel comfortable to you at this time, we have an alternative appointment solution. Virtual visits give you access to our highly skilled providers on your smartphone, tablet, or computer. You can see and talk to one of our providers in real-time. Schedule an appointment online or call 812-855-7688. Same-day visits are available.
Nothing is more important to us than your health and safety. We want to assure you that we are taking thoughtful steps to make sure our facility remains a place you can trust that will protect and care for you. Please don’t hesitate to give us a call if you have questions.