Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)

For emergencies 24/7, call 812-855-5711
  • IU Health Center 4th Floor
  • For questions or to make an appointment (812) 855-5711

Faculty & Staff

If you see a student in trouble, you can help. Because you work closely with students every day, you have a unique perspective on changes in their behavior or mood. If you are concerned in any way about a student, we invite you to speak with a CAPS counselor.

When to Call

When students are troubled, they often talk about their problems with faculty and staff they trust. Here are a few signs that indicate CAPS should get involved.

  • The student continues to have problems after repeated attempts to help
  • The student's academic or social functioning deteriorates
  • The student seems increasingly hopeless or helpless
  • The student shows significant changes in behavior or mood
  • You feel your role is changing from trusted advisor to counselor

CAPS for Faculty & Staff

Find out more about when and how to refer a student to CAPS for assistance.

What to Expect

We will ask you to describe your interactions with the student and the behaviors that concern you. Based on what you tell us, we will discuss the most effective methods for helping the student. In some cases, you may simply recommend the student talk with us. In cases of extreme emergency, our psychiatrists can assist with hospitalization.

Throughout the process, we will respect your confidentiality as well as your student's.

Learning to Recognize Emotional Distress

CAPS offers training sessions for academic departments and new faculty and staff on how they can recognize the signs of emotional distress and what they should do. To schedule a session, contact Chris Meno at or Nancy Stockton at NOTE: Please do no use email to consult with us regarding a student. Instead, call CAPS at 855-5711 and ask to speak to Dr. Nancy Stockton or the emergency walk-in counselor. (See "Crisis Services" above.)